Friday, April 17, 2009

took my kids to work day

(Before I start rambling about kidstuff, lemme tell you why I love GoogleMaps.)

Yesterday was "Take Your Child to Work Day" ... so I made it plural and took the whole brood. No, I did not carry them on the back of my bike.

Kids2,3,& 4 spent the whole day with me in the office. I was a bit concerned before starting b/c they're not used to getting up quite so early. I'm not much of a morning person either, but I really enjoy having the office to myself for a couple hours before getting hit with a bunch of firedrills.

So they were all up and ready to go right on time. No struggles, no stress. We got into the office without issue, zapped about 1/2 dozen bowls of instant oatmeal, toasted some pop-tarts, made at least 20 cups of hot cocoa, and took our vitamins. My morning routine was only about 90 minutes behind schedule by the time we finished breakfast, but I knew my day would be jumbled.

We all checked email (and facebook and AIM) to get organized for the day. I was trying to map out any required workstuff with hosting and acting as a tour guide for the kids when they shocked me with a request: "What work can we do?"

WTF? Twenty years* of having kids and I don't think I've ever heard those words.

So I re-mapped my workstuff and figured out their assigned tasks for the day. They took full ownership, too. There was a chart of tasks and assignments on my white board, with status updates next to each task, and check marks to show what was completed.

The day was wayyyy more productive than I ever could have imagined, and the kids were having a blast actually being legitimate contributors. They tested a whole stack of hardware, sorted thru some inventory stuff, unpacked and set up some new MacBooks, and updated our inventory database to reflect the changes of the day. They saved me many many hours of work. Totally cool.

We walked up to Moe's for lunch, and I found out just how much I was paying for all that help. Holy crap, I had no idea that a side of queso at Moe's is effing $4.99! $42 worth of burritos! Ouch.

I can't wait til next year.

* Yes, twenty years! No, I don't believe it. Kid1's b-day is this Saturday. Only one more year before he can have a legal hangover.

= = = = = = = = = =

Like MarioPaint on the interwebs! artPad

Simple little Galaga rip-off.

No, I can't explain falling evil tangerines.

= = = = = = = = = =

I thought I was the only one who had these kinds of thoughts. Laura sent a link that's right out of the dark corners of my brain: 10 real-life animals that look like.... ah, LadyFlowers, as Frisky so delicately phrases it.

Jules gives us the rock n roll band publicity pics Douchebag Hall of Fame!

Poetry and art can be found in the most surprising locations sometimes. Bathroom Wall Graffiti of the Day.

I never would have survived going away to college.


Ouch.


= = = = = = = = = =

No comments: