Monday, March 1, 2010

it's all a blur

Skipping the weekly update has started to become a bad habit. I've been living in a swirl of activity for the past few months, and really haven't paid enough attention to the more important things in life. Like the Waster.

Every time I do actually write, I spend the entire update describing why I've been slacking and disappointing your entertainment expectations. This is no time to break a good pattern. Here goes...

I turned 40 a few weeks back. Lots of people weren't so sure I'd make it this far, including me. I've done a lot of stupid & abusive things to myself in 40 years, and really haven't suffered as much permanent damage as I should have. I've got a full set of replacement teeth in my head, plus a shoulder comprised of scar tissue, but not too much beyond that. I'm putting 'limited damages' under the 'win' column.

40 feels a lot better to me than 30, actually. Or 25, even. I stressed a bit at 25, kinna went through my mid-life crisis. By that time, I was married w mortgage and multiple car payments, and my third kid was on the way. Smoking this, smoking that, drinking, working way too many hours at a crappy restaurant job, and I was running my body into the ground.

40 finds me in a soooo much better position. Change of careers for the better, change of wives for the better, quit smoking nearly two years, exercising like a fool, and just feeling good. I honestly feel better now than I have in a long long time. If turning 40 feels this awesome, 50 better hurry up and get here, dammit.

(I'm wondering how Missy's gonna react to that 'change of wives' comment. I'll let you know.)

There's still stress in PJ-land, of course. My grandma passed on my birthday, actually. She lived an amazing life, and touched countless people. She had a dozen kids, for real, and grandkids were all over the place. I just found out that the actual count was exactly 100 grand, great-grand, and great-great-grandkids. Wow.

Grandma was old-school. Generous, hard-working, full of faith and spunk and smiles. (Thanks for letting me hijack your grandma, Becky, your words were so much more eloquent than mine would have been.)

Grandma took a new job sometime in her EIGHTIES, taking care of the priests at St. Mary's. The priest who presided over her mass was one of those that she took care of. He called her mom during the services, and it fit perfectly. If you were near her, you were under her wing. Years ago, she was a founding member of the Women's Funeral Choir at the church, and the current choir was there to sing when it was her turn.

Her kids (my aunts & uncles) gave her a wonderful service. The flowers were beautiful; bouquets representing each of her kids & their spouses, and a huge one with one flower for each of us 100 grandkids, too. They had pictures & murals & videos of all the past family reunions & just soooo many happy memories. Listening to the voices of the fam singing 'In the Garden' is simply magical.

= = = = = = = = = =

Sexy billiards is a bit confusing. The 'billiards' part of the game is pretty good. The 'sexy' part isn't anything more than choosing your opponent at the beginning of the match. *yawn*

The cupcakes game of games. Creative, challenging, and tasty! I only wish it had a scoring mechanism, bc I'd kick all y'all's tails!

= = = = = = = = = =

All day, listening to Rancid, keeping this gif dancing on my desk...


My new favorite word, and my new favorite art project, vajazzling!


Original Jennifer Love Hewitt vajazzling discussion on the Lopez show:


Never would have guessed it category. Ozzy. Writing a book. Discussing it on NPR. Riiiiight...

Olympic Symphony: What hundredths of a second really sounds like.

Ummm, what????


Juvenile humor towing vid:


Just how big is a million? Or a billion? This article does a good job of relating massive numbers to concepts you can understand, like football stadiums. For those of you who can't handle intellectual reading, here's a simple pic of a million dots:

(click to supersize)

Amanda can make EasyMac, regardless of what drug you're on!

F you, F you, you're cool, F you, and I'm out!


Finally, I'll close with some Kid Rock. The music player I use on my desktop (amarok) displays the lyrics to whatever track is playing. You can't fake quality lyricism like this...
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-bang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up jump the boogie
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-dang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up drop the boogie.
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-bang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up jump the boogie
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-dang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up drop the boogie.
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-bang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up jump the boogie
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-dang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up drop the boogie.
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-bang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up jump the boogie
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-dang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up drop the boogie.
My name is Kid... Kid Rock!
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-bang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up jump the boogie
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-bang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up jump the boogie.
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-bang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up jump the boogie
Bawitdaba-da bang-da-dang-diggy-diggy-diggy
Said the boogie-said up drop the boogie.

= = = = = = = = = =

No comments: