Friday, August 1, 2008

grinding, again

Being back in the real world is even less fun that I thought it was going to be. It's already Friday, and I'm still not caught up with everything either in the office or at home. I've been busier than he|| from morning til night ever since we returned.

The not-so-quick recap...

Kid2 had her learner's permit now, and spent some time behind the wheel of the truck. At 80mph. On the turnpike. With a trailer on the back. It was def a good experience for her, but it was prolly scarier than any coaster I've ever been on.

The first day was w/ the fam at Soak City in OH. Good rides and slides, but more than a little crowded. Repeatedly waiting 20+ minutes for a 30 second waterslide is a harsh break in the middle of the fun.

The rest of the weekend was spent at the annual reunion. Grilling, drinking, yapping, drinking, playing kickball, drinking, and pretty much just drinking. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't see any Genesee Cream Ale this year. No kegs, and not even in cans. Read what you want into the fact that we had cases and cases of Beast Light and Nattie Light.

Cedar Point provided enough adrenaline in the afternoon to make up for the fact that I was having a totally stressful day at the park. Some of the fam was whiny and cranky (no names, b/c they read this blog, too), and disorganized, and unmotivated. Rain closed all the rides for an hour during the afternoon. Dragster broke down TWICE while we were waiting in line. But then things started clicking - Dragster at 120mph seems to have a way of erasing my tension.

And I *finally* got a trip on Maverick. Me, and my sis, and Kids2&4 waited for the front seats on what is one of the best rides I've ever been on. It's got speed and twists and turns and g-force changes that are just awesome.

Then we headed out to Indy to hang w/ Gram and a couple other old friends. I wound up doing a lot of work around the house for Gram, which is a good thing. She's living solo, and doesn't have anybody around to climb the roof and clean the gutters and stuff. I only wish I had more time to spend with our friends, and more time to help Gram.

On the drive home, we stopped for the night in Washington, PA. Don't ever go there. EVER. The whole town was asleep by around 945pm. We had lights out in the hotel room around 11, so I stared at the Hampton Inn lot lights for about two hours before eventually drifting off.

The last day of vaca we were in Gettysburg PA doing the tourist thing. I'd driven thru, but never done the tour before. It's actually really good. They've got a 2-CD set (for sale) that you play in the truck while driving through an 18 mile course all around the city and the battlefield. There are lots of places to park along the course, to get out and explore, climb some really big rocks, go up in observation towers, and check out the hundreds of monuments. It was way more interesting than I expected it to be.

Learn from my experience: don't try to complete the tour with anybody else in the truck that doesn't ALSO want to complete the tour. Frustration and tension and bears, oh my! Trust me on this one.

Since we've been back... Kids2&4 are back on vaca w/ their mom. Kid1 stayed home (at his mom's) to work (and to have the place to himself). I'm a bit insulted that I wasn't invited to any parties over there. He heads back to CNU for the fall semester in two weeks. Seems like summer just started, and it's already winding down.

Kid3 is still home with us. He's got his 13th birthday on Sunday. Another teenager. Fun. I just realized that during March and April 2009, I'll have FOUR effing teenagers at the same time. Oh, I'm so looking forward to that.

I got caught up with my schoolwork earlier this week, and took my midterms last night. All good. If I could only get caught up on work around the office and at home, I'll be fine.

Weekend plans: Friday Night Live tonight in Herndon, for my first time (ever!) I don't know either of the bands; I'm just happy to have the chance to get out to something on a Friday night. I dunno what's going on Saturday yet, so somebody better call me with a (kinda kid-friendly) invitation.

Happy Friday!

=====================================
Be the missle. I LOVE this game. Simple, but totally frustrating.
http://www.awfulgames.com/games/bethemissile/

Frogs piss me off. Leslie, not so much, except that she sent me the frogs.
http://funstufftosee.com/frogleaptest.html

Max sent the most relaxing frustration ever. Roll over the shapes to capture them. Yellow increases level. Purple is really good. Blue and green are points. Red is bad. Now go!
http://www.noob.us/games/relaxing-flash-game-music-catch/

=====================================
Party Ruiners! I have names for each one of these people, and they've all been at my house.
http://listoftheday.blogspot.com/2008/07/8-people-who-will-ruin-your-party.html

This is from a couple different people.... The Beijing Topiary Garden is effing amazing. Check out the hand-waterfall one.
http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/stunning-beijing-olympic-topiary-gardens/art

HA! I've got a great idea!
http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/2008/07/istockphoto-darling-ive-had-most.html

Eric joins the club of people that share parts of my brain, and who will be on the he||bus with me sometime in the future.
http://www.holytaco.com/2008/07/15/highlights-for-children-by-satan/

No comments: