Friday, October 3, 2008

old guys rule

Quick thought, before I start rambling: The Redskins kicked a55 last weekend! Eff the 'boys!

Now that I've got that thought off my chest... my high school reunion is this weekend. I've been involved in the planning and coordination of everything, so I'm pretty stoked about it too. It's my TWENTY YEAR high school reunion. This didn't seem all that bad to me, until I made the connection that I've been out of school longer than I was actually in school.

I feel there's a lot I should have been able to get done in the past 20 years. I feel like I've been slacking. I got off to a quick start; faster than most people I think. By the time I was in my early twenties, I was married, three kids, had a career, a house, motorcycle, and a couple of new cars.

I left the house & wife, sold the cars & motorcycle, and changed careers. Basically, I hit the "go back to start" space. The giant red slide in "Chutes and Ladders". Take II is working out 1000x better, so I'm pretty happy with the way the cards were dealt.

The whole pattern and method of my life so far has been under review since I started chatting with all my old classmates. One guy just had his first kid. One girl is living in her mom's basement with her husband and two toddlers, b/c their house got repo'd. Somebody else recently got engaged.

I can't imagine starting things so late. I honestly have nothing to compare it to, b/c I only know about my own experience. But I'm really looking forward to Kids 2-4 graduating and going away to college. Kid 1 is already away at school as a sophomore. Heck, he's voting this year, which trips my mind even more than when he bought a car or left for school.

I borrowed my daughter's car all this week while I had a friend do some work on my truck. That just entertains me to no end. I did feel a bit awkward with the Tinkerbell seat covers and steering wheel wrap, but I survived.

I'll be 44 when the youngest graduates high school. My wife will only be 39. Then we're DONE. Out. Thanks, see ya, bye. The remaining decades are just for us, and I'm totally stoked about reaching that point. We've got a lot of grand plans, some of which are more realistic than the others. (I'm still wondering if she's just pulling my leg about installing the keg system when we build the new house.)

Reunion activities start in just over an hour. Kicking off tonight with a happy hour at Carpool. Dinner and late-night plans are in the works, but not defined yet.

Saturday has a few things in store during the day, then the 'official' reunion event is set up like a wedding reception. Hotel ball room, open bar, dinner, DJ... all that sort of stuff. Finally, Sunday has a brunch before everyone heads out of town and back to the real world.

= = = = =

Jess found the new theme of the Friday Waster games on xkcd:


I love beer, drinking beer, making beer, and games about beer.

Yes, this is a re-run. But I had about a dozen people send it to me this week, so I'm upping it again. Enjoy, or hate it. http://fantasticcontraption.com/

= = = = =

News in the neighborhood. Augur (band II from the block party) is playing SterlingFest on 11 October at 145. They put on a really good show for us, and now we need to come out and return these guys some love.

Tammy found a really cool birthday calendar app. I know, most of these suck. This one has a LOT of stuff that you really never wanted to know.

These guys are nuts. Or cool. Or both.

No comments: